Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Staring at a Blank Page

The work on my screenplay continues at a frenetic pace. Until last night, I had four pages written, but as I worked on the structure of the piece, it became apparent that I needed a new opening.

It's sort of a shame to have to lose my original opening, because it involved a car accident, and let's face it, any movie that begins by smashing a 7-series BMW is, by definition, very cool.

It's not entirely gone - I merely moved it back by a couple minutes in favor of a more subtle opening that provides a better place to state the film's theme. The new opening also provides a better visual counterpoint for the film's ending.

Moving the scene means that I'll have to rewrite it, of course. So basically, I'm back to blank pages.

In the past, I'd have worried about this. Now, however, I have a much better idea of how to structure a film's story, and I can see how this change in the outline improves the story.

Blank pages ain't so bad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

glad to know ur writings/thing s/where