Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Best Birthday Gift Ever

[ding-dong]
(Englishman opens door. A large figure in a flowing, black robe stands there. The figure is holding a scythe.)

GEOFFREY
"Yes?"
(A pause.)
"Is it about the hedge?"
(A pause)
"Look, I am awfully sorry, but..."

GRIM REAPER
"I am...the Grim Reaper"

GEOFFREY
"Who?"

GRIM REAPER
"The...Grim...Reaper."

GEOFFREY
"Yes, I see."

GRIM REAPER
"I...am...Death."

GEOFFREY
"Yes. Well, the thing is, we've got some people in from America tonight, and..."

ANGELA
"Who is it, Darling?"

GEOFFREY
"It's a 'Mr. Death' or something. He's come about the reaping. I don't think we need any at the moment."

ANGELA
"Hello! Well, don't leave him hanging around outside, Darling. Ask him in."

No, I did not receive Monty Python's The Meaning of Life on DVD...I already had that. What I got from my daughters was a 12" Grim Reaper plush toy ("Your comforting bedtime bath buddy," as it says on the tag).

Actually, that's not quite correct. True, I did get a Grim Reaper plush toy, but what I really got for my birthday was a nudge-and-a-wink from my daughters, who are growing up secure in the knowledge that their dad not only gets their jokes, but isn't offended at being the butt of them sometimes.

It's not an unsophisticated joke...and the fact that they knew I'd get it means more to me than anything in the world. I love that the girls are comfortable needling me once in a while.

As a father, I sometime catch a glimpse of a milepost as my relationship with my daughters deepens as they grow up. Quite often, these mileposts...even at a glimpse...take my breath away. These two young women really are amazing.

5 comments:

Susan said...

That was an amazing post, even if it did talk about the grim reaper. Happy Birthday.

Robin Alexa said...

How sweet.

Here's hoping Mr. Death doesn't come reaping for you for a long, long time! :)

ramblin' girl said...

very sweet. I've always thought daughters and fathers have a special bond. glad you had a happy birthday.

Erica said...

Happy Birthday!! And many happy returns... which are guaranteed, unless you have... [skeletal finger pointing] the salmon mousse.

"Darling! You didn't use canned salmon, did you?"
"I'm most dreadfully embarrassed!"

Hope you had a great day :-)

j. said...

happy birthday! have a lovely year!

(just wanted to let you know i received your tag and it's posted)