Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Good Things


Have you ever met anyone who, without trying, or even meaning to, changes your life? Not just your life, but the way you view your life?

It’s hard to quantify, the effect we have on other people’s lives. It can be even harder to say, “Your presence in my life makes a difference.”

A couple weeks ago, someone suggested to me that we boycott Valentine’s Day, we solitary people. I responded by proposing the opposite – that she be my Valentine. I sent her flowers today…virtual flowers, actually, because I’m a dork.

See, I don’t think that Valentine’s Day ought to be just for lovers, or people who want to be lovers, or even people who simply want to encase their lovers in chocolate. I think it’s about communicating to those around us that we appreciate the changes they bring about in us.

To all of you who read this blog, a late-evening Happy Valentine’s Day. And thank you. You’ve helped me to trust in my skills as a writer, and that makes a difference.

And what happy changes have been brought about by my Virtual Valentine? That’s a question I’ll answer only for her.

All good things.

5 comments:

Chelle said...

Amen.

Lisa said...

I think you make an excellent point, and one I really should have focused on earlier. Valentines Day is a great opportunity to tell anyone and everyone who is important to us how much we love and appreciate them.

Although I can't say that I would necessarily mind being encased in chocolate......

Betty said...

I give small gifts to my family and my staff...and maybe a romantic interest if there's one around. And it's ok if there's not one around.

I don't spend much money, but I do put thought into it. In my opinion, that makes it the best of the holidays.

Sherri said...

ummm.....where were my virtual flowers??? huh?

Friends can get virtual flowers too!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I have had the very fortune of meeting someone very cool who has, without meaning to, changed the way I view life and men and people in general. Fortunately, he's amazingly articulate and writes one hell of a blog. Now, I'm just waiting for his book...tappa, tappa, tappa...

Not sure about VD. Seems so 25 years ago. Though I still had to wear pink and red.