Monday, March 13, 2006

Inaccessible.

I have been taking a pseudo-break from blogging.  You may have noticed.  

Actually, I’ve been taking a break from most forms of writing.  I’m not sure why.  There haven’t been many things on my mind that have seemed worthy of throwing out there for the sake of whatever flavor of posterity comes as a side dish when the entrée is Blog.

I have felt mostly like retreating from the world, of late.  I am not unhappy…far from it…but I simply have not felt like I have the energy to extend myself and deal with other people.  

Part of it stems, I’m sure, from the realization that I’m still carrying around quite a lot of anger, which manifests itself primarily as self-abuse in the form of bad eating habits.  I have also been quite a bit shorter with people than I like – also rooted in anger.  

So, fat and unpleasant to be around, I’ve taken to being a bit reclusive: I’ve ignored voice mail from friends, failed to call when I said I would, blown off e-mails, brought my noise-canceling headphones to work, retreated to the virtual world of Microsoft Flight Simulator (where lately, I have been flying a model of a World War II-era fighter plane – with its virtual guns disabled…paging Dr. Freud, Dr. Howard, Dr. Fine, Dr. Howard!), and have started to learn to swear in Mandarin.  (青蛙操的流氓) You probably don’t want to know what that means – and part of the joy of swearing in a language no one understands is…that no one understands.

The funny part of all this (and that’s not to say that learning to swear in a foreign language just for the sake being able to do so isn’t funny), is that I’m actually not depressed.  I’m quite content with my life, which is, on the whole, pretty effing good.  I am healthy (more or less – aside from my weight), I make a good living doing a job I love, and despite being solitary (a term I prefer to “single”), I’m not unmanageably lonely.  

You know that feeling you get when you’re in the midst of something, feeling in the groove, and you’re surprised to find that you’re bleeding, but you have no idea when it happened or how?  It isn’t particularly painful, or you’d have noticed the injury right away, but you need to stop and tend to it…and then you don’t quite feel safe any more, doing what you were doing.

That’s how I feel right now.

What’s bleeding?  Certainly not my heart, which you’ll know from reading my last post.  I’m not sure.  

I do know that I’ve become aware of the perception people seem to have that I am damaged.  And not just me…but the women I seem to be attracting.  Not all of the women who’ve found me attractive of late would qualify as “damaged”, but the one who is not falls squarely into a category that can only be called “inaccessible”.  

Which makes me wonder: Do I choose that?  Do I have something against being in a healthy, supportive relationship?  Have I chosen to isolate myself?  Which of the two of us is really the inaccessible one?

7 comments:

~TinkerQi~ said...

Nice blog! Worth a bookmark

Yoda said...

Thank you, Yingqi!

~Kurt

Lisa said...

This makes me so sad.

We all have our issues that make us less than perfect.. But that doesn't make us damaged or unloveable.

And you certainly are NOT damaged OR unloveable.

You know I'm ALWAYS here for you. No matter what.

(((hugs))) of the enormous kind...

Sherri said...

It's funny, but I feel the same way. I have really retreated from writing and communicating with my frieds. I'm not depressed and unhappy either. Actually, I think it's the exact opposite. I'm finally at a point in my life where I am happy and content with myself and don't need the validation of others. Maybe that's why you are retreating too.

As far as the women issue....maybe you haven't found the right one because THE right one is on her way, and if you already had one you'd miss her. Make any sense?

:)

Chelle said...

Again I agree with Sherri.

I have not known any person that has not taken a timeout from some part of life.

A friend of mine called the timeouts the rest before growth. He knew whenever he retreated a little it was because his brain was gearing up for something else.

The fact you're looking at/ analyzing this part of yourself could be an indication of that? Maybe?

Condoleesa said...

I think it is spring fever. I feel the same way. Roll with the punches this too shall pass.

Condoleesa said...

Come back to blogging. I miss you.