Monday, March 27, 2006

Catching Up

Yep.  Been away a while.  Can’t say that I haven’t missed writing…just haven’t had much to say.  I’ve sat down a few times, but if I can be permitted a vulgar analogy, I’ve been afflicted with a kind of literary constipation.  

After taking a moment to arrange a bit of music to write by, I’m ready – at last – to set down a few thoughts, paced by the tapping of my toe.

As if I have any.

Thoughts, that is.

What is it with people these days?  According to an article on the news page at imdb.com, Morgan Spurlock (Oscar-nominated documentarian responsible for Super Size Me) delivered an over-the-top lecture at a Pennsylvania high school, mocking special education students and teachers.  Apparently, his talk included the use of the F-bomb.  Now, I’m a sailor, and the use of the F-bomb generally doesn’t offend me…unless I’m in the presence of someone who will be offended by it.  I’m a big fan of language, and let’s face it, fuck is a word, and pretty useful one, at that.  What offends me about this, if it’s true, is the mocking.  Spurlock later said that he couldn’t understand the unfavorable reaction on the part of the school, saying, “The greatest lesson those kids learned today was the importance of free speech.”  

Dude, it was a health fair.  You were there to talk about the risks of eating too much fast food.  How do jokes about pot-smoking teachers tie in, here?  Right.  They don’t.

And since when does spouting crap in public teach anyone about the importance of free speech?  Not to be contrary, here, but all Spurlock actually did was teach his audience that free speech exists, something they probably already knew.

If you want to teach a lesson on the importance of free speech, ditch the disrespect and start talking about Abdul Rahman, the man facing the death penalty in Afghanistan for converting to Christianity.  

I know, I got off on a tangent there.

In other news, my sister’s baby seems to be doing well.  There is still concern, and after her last ultrasound, the doctor made the decision to move her delivery to a hospital with a better-equipped NICU, in case there are complications.  (As if tumors on her heart and in her brain aren’t complications enough.)  My sister reports that the baby is very active, though she hasn’t yet turned head-down in preparation for being born…so, in yet another challenge, she’s slated for a C-section on April 7th.  I’m headed up to LA that day to join the crowd in the waiting room.

I’ll also be joining them on the Tuberous Sclerosis Alliance Walk for the Cure on June 25th…they have a website set up for sponsorship donations, and if you feel inclined, check it out: http://www.firstgiving.com/clarajane.

And as one last bit…I’ll point you to one of my very early posts.  Shortly before I wrote that post, my hairdresser tut-tutted over my soft-but-thinning locks and remarked, “You know…you might consider just shaving it all off.”  I must say that over the last ten months, I’ve uncorked every excuse in the book not to shave my head, and even rebelled by not cutting my hair at all for nigh on to five months.  I let myself get – as my buddy Bear put it – scruffy-lookin’.  

Last Sunday, I took the plunge.  It actually looks pretty good.  I’ll offer a photo as soon as I have one.

2 comments:

rennratt said...

I'm glad to see that you are back. You have been missed.

Condoleesa said...

Glad you're back.