Saturday, November 25, 2006

Of Words and Wings

I’ve had a couple ideas today…pretty good ones, if I do say so myself. The first involves embarking on a new writing project, one which I’ll share with you as it’s being written. I wasn’t quite ready for this one when NaNoWriMo started, or I’d have attempted to write it there. Thinking about it now, that’s probably a good thing. Even now, the story is still developing in my head.

If you’ve been reading my blog for a while, you know that I love airplanes. I always have – according to my mother, the first word I ever said was, “airplane”, though apparently the pointing (and undoubtedly the wild gesticulation) was necessary to understand the context of my toddler’s unskilled articulation.

I eventually became a pilot.

And then, after a couple near-mishaps caused by my own failure to account for the inattentiveness of others (or simply by that inattentiveness, depending on how you look at it), I took a break from flying. By the time I was ready to go back to it, the world – my world and the version of reality that I subscribe to most of the time – had changed and I could no longer afford to fly as often as I’d need to in order to be any good at it.

I never gave up my love of airplanes, though.

To keep my navigation skills sharp, I began practicing with computer-based flight simulators, and eventually made a virtual flight around the world.

Once in a while, someone with a similar love of aviation and a remarkable level of skill and patience will produce a simulation of a favorite airplane, and unintentionally (or intentionally, depending on how much credit you give the developer) inspire me. This has happened three times now: with the King Air I flew around the world, with the Spitfire I haven’t yet given up writing about, and this week with a 30’s vintage de Havilland biplane.

These airplanes capture my imagination and become the keys to a vivid, virtual world that extends beyond the limits of the simulation, beyond my time at the computer.

This time, I’m going to share the story that comes out of this world with you, right here.

If there’s one core truth to creativity, it’s that inspiration never comes from just one place. Just like the people who access creative thought, ideas are the sum of many experiences, many lessons.

Four of Richard Bach’s early books hold a special place in my heart. Biplane and Nothing By Chance were first-person accounts of two summers Richard spent barnstorming…flying his biplane around the mid-west, selling rides for $3. Those experiences helped him form the basis for his best-seller Illusions, a copy of which sits on my computer desk nearly all the time. Finally, A Gift of Wings is a collection of essays about flying, mostly non-fiction. It was reading A Gift of Wings that led me to finally seek out a flight instructor, and the day I flew solo was also the day I wrote Richard a thank you note for encouraging me to fly.

I’ve been asked a good many times over the years why I’ve never gone back to real-world flying. I have invariably given some bullshit answer about the cost of flying, just as I did earlier in this post (and just as I did when asked over lunch this afternoon), but the simplest truth is that I haven’t gone back because I don’t want to. There are other things that I hold more important at this point in my life, and for now, I’m perfectly happy to enjoy my flying from inside my head, while seated at my kitchen table.

You could see this as compromise if you want to, and perhaps it is. As Richard notes in The Bridge Across Forever, “The only thing that shatters dreams is compromise.” While I whole-heartedly agree, I refuse to accept that compromises must shatter dreams.

And that leads me to my second idea, which takes the form of a question: What dream have you set aside to make room for other things of equal importance, and have the compromises you’ve chosen shattered or merely postponed the realization of your dream?

While you’re thinking about that, I’m going to be writing about flying and other things in a new feature I’m calling Tale of the Tiger.

No comments: