Sunday, August 07, 2005

When the Parrots Come Back to San Diego

Yep. Parrots. A couple dozen green ones. (Beautiful plumage.)

I woke up this morning to the sound of their squawking outside my bedroom window. They're gone now...it's quiet in my neighborhood again, but they'll be back. They always come back.

Parrots are not indigenous to Southern California. This is a case of someone releasing at least a mating pair into the wild. The "wild". San Diego can be pretty wild, but the only jungle here is concrete. I'm sure whoever released them did so by accident. Parrots are not cheap. On the other hand, they often live eighty years, so maybe these were inherited by someone who didn't want them.

In spite of the raucus group visit this morning, I woke up slowly, and it took me a few minutes to think of Monty Python. Perhaps I can be forgiven, since it was so early, but I can't help but wonder if I'm losing my mental edge.

You see, these parrots are not dead. They are still with us. They are not pushing up the daisies. They have not passed on, gone to meet their maker. They are not bleeding demised.

But at 6:30 on a Sunday morning...the last day of my vacation...I do wish they'd ring down the curtain and join the Choir Invisible.

3 comments:

Betty said...

Yoda! Go see "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill"! Its wonderful! And has a very touching and hope inspiring ending.

princess slea said...

When I was about 10 years old someone gave me two parrots. We didn't know there were special things you needed to do for parrots so we just fed them regular bird seed and water.
They were really smart, we would come home to find them both flying around the house and my parents would assume my older brother let them out to be a pain. One day we walked in on the male actually lifting the gate with his beak and holding it open for the female to walk out. The male would then walk through kinda twisting his neck to hold the gate for himself. Then they would go nuts flying all over the house.
They started molting or so we thought and acting strange so we took them to a vet who told us we had malnourished them. Exotic birds need fruit and we had not given them any in the year of so since we had gotten them. They died within two days of each other and I swore I would never own a pet again because of the guilt I felt over basically killing them.

Ladyred said...

Stopped by, started reading, and was interested in your writing so I thought I'd say hi. Great blog, I will have to take some time to read some archives. Take care!