Friday, January 27, 2006

Powerlessness By Proxy

The amazing and beautiful Lisa reminded me that it’s been a few days since I wrote anything, and her post this evening brought some thoughts to the forefront that I’d like to share with you.

A few Sundays ago, my daughter and I joined my best friend, Bear, in celebrating his sobriety.  Bear, you see, is an alcoholic.

He and I have known each other for almost twenty-five years, since we stood a very cold midwatch together as pier sentries on Pier 12 at the Naval Operating Base in Norfolk, Virginia.  We made each other laugh, and to tell you the truth, I’ve always considered him to be the funny one.  

And because he and I have been friends for so long, he wouldn’t hesitate at all to agree with me on that point.

If you’ve never been to an Alcoholics Anonymous meeting, and you’re invited to attend one, don’t turn it down.  Don’t worry if you’re not an alcoholic, they’ll love you anyway, because that’s what they do.

All through our pre-deployment work-ups in 1981, Bear and I hung out together.  We’d keep each other laughing at General Quarters, because our stations were right next to each other.  We’d make each other laugh when he was doing that whole backwards writing thing that you can only see in old movies, now.  (He once wrote my sister a letter that way, which she thought was the coolest thing.)  And because we were always laughing, we were always getting in trouble for laughing at inappropriate times.  Think Monty Python meets “We’re No Angels”…I was the De Niro to his Penn, the Cleese to his Idle.

Being young sailors, it was inevitable that we would drink.  I’d never had so much booze.  He had more experience overseas than I did, and he suggested (wisely, as it turned out), that we take turns being reasonably sober, so that one of us would always be able to get us both back to the ship.

We had us some adventures, we did.  

Now, most guys who’ve been friends as long as we have would probably look back on their drunken youth with a degree of fondness that simply isn’t there when he and I reminisce about those days.

Not us.  When we talk about it, it’s at an AA meeting, because what it represents for us is the beginning of ten years worth of fuzzy memories for him, ten years of things he’s worked to make amends for throughout the last fifteen years.  He’s lived through a motorcycle accident and a car accident and a thousand more agonies neither you nor I will ever fully understand, and I made it easy for him to start down that path.  

To me, the divergence in the roads we took from that inebriated season is the most incomprehensible difference between us.  When he stands up at a meeting and talks about taking turns getting shit-faced, it feels like an indictment.  In that hall, I will forever be “the sober one”, the one who had control and for a time, didn’t help his best friend.

In spite of my failing, and because of it, the men and women in that meeting nod respectfully as Bear introduces me, and they accept me.  They understand what it is to let a friend down, and my fear that they will judge me for what I didn’t do is unfounded.

They understand the truth: that nothing and no one could have kept him from walking that foggy road.  Alcoholics understand powerlessness.

When I talk with the man Bear is today, I am astounded at the changes in him.  It isn’t simply the absence of alcohol in his life, it’s the depth of character that has grown out of his quest for Sobriety.  He is worthy of it.

In writing that last paragraph, it dawned on me why there is no judgment for me when Bear speaks of trading nights of drunkenness: If we are all powerless ourselves, how can we control the actions of others?

10 comments:

rennratt said...

Kurt,

Whether you realize it or not, you are indeed worthy of the title "best friend". After all, mere acquaintances would look back and laugh at the drunken antics. You, on the other hand, feel genuine remorse for your inaction. Seems to me that you both have learned a lot over the years, and are better people as a result.

Friends like you are a blessing, and sadly, rare to boot.

Lisa said...

Thank goodness for those last couple of paragraphs, because I was really ready to take you to task. You know as well as I do that there's no way you could stop Bear from drinking. You didn't lead him down any path that he wouldn't have found anyway, with or without you. You'd never be judged at an AA meeting anyway. That's pretty much the opposite of what they're trying to accomplish. It sounds to me like you're damn good friend, and I'd bet big money that Bear would count you amont the best ones he has. Wonderful, powerful post. My writing wants to be your writing when it grows up. ;-)

Condoleesa said...

You learned a lesson it has taken me a life time to begin to learn.

T said...

You are very lucky that Bear has grown so much from AA... it is not always the case. My father was sober for exactly 10 months of my entire life.... during which he was going to AA meetings sometimes 2 and 3 times a day- he went through the VA's program so it was mandatory. He came to the fun conclusion that because his experiences weren't exactly like everyone elses- he wasn't an alchoholic. And started drinking again. And never stopped. He's been gone 4 years and I am still angry- probably always will be but it's good to hear it about someone it helped.

Anonymous said...

I have a friend that was 8 years sober...until last year. And reading this post made me realize once again that there is nothing I could have done differently that would have stopped him from taking that first drink a year ago. There's nothing his wife could have done, and nothing other friends could have done. And now we just try to be there for him and his wife when they need support and encouragement. He's tried to get clean and sober 3 times now in the past 8 months...twice he's fallen back off the wagon. We're still unsure about the third time, but his hold to sobriety is tenuous at best.

Thanks for this post Kurt, and for the freedom that we all need at the end of it.

Rich | Championable said...

Hi there.

First of all, great post. Sobriety does incredible things to people who let it.

I don't know if AAs really think they're powerless in an overall sense. I think it's the admission of being "powerless over alcohol" that allows them to take the first step towards greater things. But powerlessness over alcohol is not the same thing as being powerless in general.

Nice to meet you, by the way.

ramblin' girl said...

thanks, again you have written about something a little too close to home. Bear is very lucky to have a friend like you!

Yoda said...

Rich,

Good point, and "general powerlessness" was certainly not what I intended. The Twelve Steps are about making a choice for one's self, and as many of us have seen, life changing choices have to be made by the individual who'll be changed, and can't be forced. Even an intervention is simply about pointing out that acceptance of change is necessary.

Thanks for stopping by! Hope to see you often!

~Kurt

Anonymous said...

That's great that you support your friend like that. Good on you, Kurt.

Lisa sent me today.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for sharing this. I'm currently figuring out my role in a (hopefully) recovering drug addict's life, and I've spent a lot of time blaming myself. Not for the addiction, he did that all by himself, but for not doing what was, in my mind, "enough" to help him. I'm not responsible for anyone's actions but my own. And it's helpful to be reminded of that from time to time.