Friday, December 01, 2006

Licensed to Amuse

Tonight was graduation night for my improv class.

I won't try to explain the games we played in the lab...most of them involve a degree of physicality that makes them impossible to explain in writing without painting a fine glaze on the reader's eyes; there are high levels of you-had-to-be-there in this particular soup.

I will, however, say a few words about some of the people I've begun to know through improv in the last two months: These are kind, generous, intelligent, loving people, and I am glad they're in my life. It's rare to find another person who sparks your imagination and challenges you to reach without and within for warmth and growth, which makes this group of ten such human beings absolutely extraordinary.

Our graduation "ceremony" consisted of each person in the group taking a turn sitting in the center of our circle, to listen while the group pointed out the things they enjoyed about having each of us in the class. Some of the compliments I received were what I expected - things I've seen in myself; a surprising number were unexpected...things I never considered, and it's made me realize that people often see wonderful things in us that we never notice when left to ourselves.

I need to remember that. Yes, I do.

After sitting in the circle, each person had an opportunity to say a few words about what the class meant to them. I found it hard not to be emotional...it's astonishing how much more open and unreserved I am compared to how I was eight weeks ago. I love these people, this group of people.

The class is not over for me...there will be a holiday break, one which will seem far too long, and class will resume in January. Several of my classmates will return, and others will join the group, so the dynamic will change. Of course, improv is all about embracing change and building upon the unexpected, and Jacquie, our teacher, understands that it's important for her to assemble a group of people who play well with each other. Judging from this group, that's one of her great talents, so I have no doubt that it will continue to be something I dearly love.

No comments: