Monday, April 24, 2006

Seeing Stars

It was a dark and stormless night.  That part of the sky that was unblocked by the mountains among which our little valley nestled itself was, well, luminous.  There was no moon; all the light by which I could see the shape of my car, the curve of the top of our tent, the lumpy shapes of the rocks, and the grasping branches of the scrubby tree I stood near came from the stars.

If you’ve never been where you can see by starlight, you haven’t lived.

For a moment, gazing up in awe at the early Sunday sky from our camp in the Blair Valley, I considered waking Sihaya…a gentle whisper beckoning her to join me in a few moments of the sublime.  

In a minute, I thought.  I’ll get us a bottle of water to share.

I cringed when I unlocked the car, the silent blinker-flash and the fading-in of the interior lights trod heavily on the stars.  I pulled out two bottles of water and gently closed the trunk.

Twisting the top off one bottle, and tipping it up, I took in more of the sky.  Yes, I thought.  Sihaya will love this.

The breeze that had so whipped the camp fire during our earlier revelry had died; in its place was only silence.  Even the coyotes seemed to be sleeping.

And. then. she. snored.

It’s a gentle sound, and one I find endearing, though I have not yet convinced her of this.  Perhaps I will, someday.

Standing in the flawlessness of the predawn desert, holding one and a half bottles of water, I decide to let Sihaya sleep.  

In that moment, I know that she would love to come see the sky with me.  I am certain of it: next to the case of water in my car, there are two books on astronomy that she brought as an afterthought, in case we should have a moment to give to the sky together.

I love her for thinking of such things.

And I love the sound of her snoring.

4 comments:

rennratt said...

I love Carolina mornings just before daybreak. I can only imagine how beautiful it is where you are.

Betty said...

Ah, Yoda.

That was beautiful.

Subtle. Heartfelt. Metaphoric.

You rascal, you.

Chelle said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Erica said...

I've meant to comment and tell you what a nice mental get-away this was for me. It's so nice to hear about, too.

And thanks for your very nice comment on my blog today - Happy Blogiversary to you, too. Great minds and all that. I think our blogs are mature enough to handle a playdate. :-)