Wednesday, April 05, 2006

So, I've Already Proposed

It began with a simple post on Craig’s List:

“So, Here's The Thing...I'm not looking for the classic "babelicious babe"...I really don't care about that.  What I want most is creative, smart, funny (and let's face it....sane).  

A little about me:  I am divorced, with two kids, one of whom lives with me most of the time and the other with their mother.  I'm creative, smart, and funny (and reasonably sane), and my friends tell me they appreciate my integrity.  I'm respectful and emotionally generous.  Most of the women I know tell me that I'm sweet.  My kids will tell you I'm a good father, unless you catch them when I'm on their case about something, usually grades.  Having served for 23 years in the Navy, I understand the nature of commitment, and somewhere around here, I have the remnants of some of the self-discipline I picked up during my time in the service.”

I got two responses.  

The first was from a woman who admitted that she smokes.  Thank you, no, even if you’re trying to quit.  

The second got my attention for two reasons: She was writing from work at noon on a Sunday, but cautioned me not to expect a response until Monday if I wrote back, and she asked for a response whether I was interested or not.  “I can handle rejection,” she wrote, “and would definitely want to know!”

We wrote for a few days, and by Wednesday I had her number.  (“You like apples?  I got her numbah.  How you like THEM apples?”)  Our first conversation consisted of a lot of laughter, plans for Saturday morning coffee, and ended with “good night,” instead of “bye”.  

Coffee on Saturday lasted four and a half hours, and included lunch and an hour of playing in the toy store.  It turns out that she is creative and funny and very, very smart.  Inside an hour, I knew I wanted to kiss her.  An hour or so after that, I was pretty sure she wouldn’t mind if I did.  It turned out that I was right.  

Part of the conversation was about Frank Herbert’s Dune, and partly for that reason, I’m calling her Sihaya.

I called her the next night.  I hate the Three Day Rule.  Usually, I follow it anyway, but not with this girl.  

Last Saturday afternoon, I went to see her dance at the Renaissance Faire…she performs Middle Eastern dance with a troupe (the other reason she’ll be called Sihaya here, since the girl in Dune was a woman of the desert).  Before her performance, we walked around to see the sights at the faire, and as we came out of one stall, we had to wait for the Queen and her royal entourage.  As they passed, I bowed and Sihaya curtseyed.  

The Queen stopped.  “And who do we have here before us?” she asked, grandly and not unpleasantly.

I introduced Sihaya, and gave my own name.  

The Queen asked who we are to each other.  I looked at Sihaya, who grinned at me.  “We are dating, Your Highness,” said I.

“And how long have you been thus?” asked the Queen.

Another grin from Sihaya, and I returned it.  “About a week,” I replied.

“In that case,” said the Queen, “We have a game for the two of you.”  She bade us stand in front of her, and face each other.  “We wish you to imagine a time in the future.  Perhaps it will be five years.  Perhaps it will be two.  But, Kurt, We would give you a glimpse into this future time, when on one knee, you ask this beautiful lady for her hand in marriage.  So that is the game We have for you…to ask this wonderful lady to marry you, and to do so in a way that she cannot say aught but yes.”

And so, I did.  And she did.  

4 comments:

Erica said...

And how did you ask her????

Betty said...

Tell us your words, Sir Yoda. Tell us your words.

I cannot fathom the mirth that would froth from my lips were I put in such a precarious situation. Even moreso, I cannot fathom, from the depths of the legion of men I have dated, even one who would have had the courage to comply.

Bravo!

Let us raise our glasses high to salute Sir Yoda.

No guts, no blue chips, as my father always said.

rennratt said...

A four hour coffee breakfast date? Finally, a (single) woman near you who can prove us right! You are so worth it. I am thrilled that you found each other.

ramblin' girl said...

:~)
at least one of us is having some luck! even better in the re-telling. I think it must be the Queen's English...