Thursday, October 27, 2005

Hey, I Gotta What If...

One of my favorite movies, “The Majestic”, begins with that line. It’s so full of possibilities, that line, and then the off-screen voice goes on to describe an idea so devoid of possibilities that it barely qualifies as an idea.

I’ve been mulling over the problem of attraction lately. Whenever I meet a woman, no matter what the circumstances, I ask myself, What if? What if she's attracted to me? What if she's not? The debate paralyzes me.

Why have I been unattached for so long? There’s no doubt I’ve chosen this path, to a certain extent, but I cannot and will not take full responsibility for it. I, who believe wholeheartedly in personal responsibility.

There have been opportunities in the last five years. With perhaps two exceptions, the women I’ve met in that time have been unattractive or unattracted to me. Those two women with whom things clicked? There were Reasons It Could Never Be. No, neither of them was involved when we met, it’s just that life is often more…complicated…than we’d often like it to be.

I know that location has a great deal to do with what’s considered attractive; here in California, most folks place tremendous emphasis on the physical, and the words “athletic” or “fit” being the most commonly used adjectives in the online personal ads I’ve read locally. As one woman wrote, “Disney really ruined it for our generation.”

Maybe that’s the problem: we don’t want to just be in love, we want to be in love in a movie.* Okay, but how can we forget that Belle got to know her true love when he was still the Beast?

Stephanie Klein writes, “I need someone extraordinarily talented. I need to be in awe, and feel proud of the man I’m with. It can’t be because of how well he treats me, but rather I need someone powerful and charged, someone extraordinary, put on this earth to make a difference. I need to look up to him. That’s my type.”

Gets right to the heart of it, doesn’t she?

How do you get to the point of being certain that the person you’re with is capable of making a difference? Is it possible to spot the extraordinary over a cup of coffee or a glass of wine?

I don’t think it is.

I think it takes time. Ten dates, at least. And even then…there will be questions. Most women relentlessly test the men they’re with until they’re sure. If they’re insecure, they continue to test them after they’re sure.

But getting to the point where there’s a second date…how does one do that? It’s a question I’ve wrestled with for a while now.

Stephanie may have given us a hint when she wrote that she needs someone powerful. That’s really what’s been missing in me lately. I am an accomplished man, professionally and personally. I’m well read, smart, funny, and reasonably sane. I do possess a certain amount of power on certain levels, and there’s no question that I’ve made a difference in the world.

But, on first meeting, I don’t project it. I don’t. Why is that?

My astonishing friend LJ and I went out for dinner one night about a year and a half ago, when she and I were still lovers. We sat at the bar instead of a table, because she’s a wonderfully social creature and she likes to be able to talk to people. On this particular evening, she spied two college-age women, standing ten feet from us and looking very thoroughly bored. Before I knew it, she’d introduced herself and invited them over for a drink. After maybe five minutes of introductory small talk, LJ excused herself to go to the ladies’ room, and left me to carry on the conversation with these two attractive young women – not a situation I have ever felt comfortable with. To my surprise, the conversation continued to flow, and when she came back, this dear woman simply stood back and watched with a knowing smile. Later, when we were walking back to the car, she wrapped herself around my right arm and said, “The blonde was into you, did you notice that?” Yes, I had. “So now you know,” said she, “it’s not just me. Other women, even women half your age, think you’re attractive.”

I’d forgotten that story until this evening. Sorry, LJ…that was a helluva gift.

What is it about that lesson that’s so hard for me to accept?

I think I make a choice…I’ve caught myself at it more than once…to avoid doing those things that attracted bad relationships in the past. After all, if I don’t have any relationships, I can’t have another bad one, right? So on meeting someone new, I withdraw, and hide the qualities that might make me attractive.

I justify this behavior by citing how seldom I’ve met someone I’d actually want to date long term. The odds that the next woman I meet will be extraordinary are slim, so why bother?

Hey, I got a what if: what if she is?

Because maybe. Just maybe.



* Shout out to Nora Ephron: Yo, Nora! ‘Sup?!?

14 comments:

snow-owl said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say thanks for the LJ story.
striv

Betty said...

(((Yoda)))

In the field of dreams, may you find a beautiful read rose. Yes, I spelled read correctly.

ramblin' girl said...

yes, maybe...

thanks for this one!

daisy said...

do you really think like this? this deep? do you know yourself this well?...i am not meaning this in a bad way
it makes me wish i lived around the corner from you just to be able to have a live conversation

Yoda said...

Daisy,

I like to think I do...I'm not ALWAYS like this; it's a phase, at the moment, I think.

Thanks for the compliment! :-)

~Kurt

x said...

Kurt
Stephanie Klein said it very well, and she is honest and wonderful. But this is not true for everybody of course. I mean, not all women need someone extraordinarily talented to look up to.
Sometimes, when somebody falls in love with me, i think he's extraordinary for seeing through me. And maybe you just need to let them see through you.

Yoda said...

Thank you, Chloe. You're absolutely right, of course!

Lisa said...

Excellent entry...

My first reaction was going to be that the complexity of it all is exactly why I've almost completely given up on dating.

Then I got to the "what if" at the end... And realized that its the "what if's" that are the reason I haven't totally given up yet.

I've enjoyed your blog very much. I'll be back!

Anonymous said...

In my opinion you are absolutely charming, witty and funny and as a woman I know those are all qualities that we look for. Perhaps you just have to resign yourself to allowing someone to love you or enjoy you for the qualities that you posses. Maybe you just have to let the women in your life, see the side of you that you show all of us.

Sherri said...

Kurt,

Everyone is extraordinary and powerful to someone.

I think that maybe you are just a late bloomer (as am I). I say this because, for some of us, it takes a heck of a lot of life experience for us to realize how great we are. Until you feel that you are great and worthy, no one else can (not saying that you don't).

I know that there is someone for you. Unfortunately, she may live in a remote village in Africa and no even know that the United States exists.

But, hey, she's out there! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, wow.

Erica said...

Ditto on Sherri and Chloe - everyone looks for something different in a mate. You just keep being YOU and share yourself when you're ready to. There's no point in putting everything on the line in a first date. First (and second, and third) dates are just about testing the water, seeing if there's basic chemistry. If you knew everything about your date ON the first date, would you need more dates, even if you liked what you discovered? Mystery! Layers! Not intentional and pretentious mystery - just NATURAL progression. It's a good thing. A woman worthy of you - she's out there.

Anonymous said...

I just want to echo Sherri's comments: "until you feel great and worthy, no one else can"...I think that's a place we all need to get to. And we all have our own definition of "extraordinary".

I know you posted this several days ago, but it's been turning over and over in my head since I originally read it and I just had to post.