Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Obsessive Compulsive, Statistically Speaking

Several weeks ago, I discovered Stat Counter, while reading Waiter Rant. Nifty idea, I thought, tracking the places from which people come to visit my little collection of thoughts.

I linked to another blog, and she was so grateful she linked back to mine...and for a time, became the main source of visitors. This is nice, I thought. I am connecting with people who seem to be interested in my thoughts.

And then, inexplicably, she replaced my link with another, and the stream of visitors to my blog became a trickle...sometimes, days pass without anyone coming. Was it something I said? Did I somehow fail to be funny or interesting? Writing a note to ask, "Hey, did you delete my link by mistake?" seemed a little needy.*

Frigging counter. If I had never known how many people were visiting, I could have gone on like the truest exhibitionist, exposing myself for the pure joy of it, completely unconcerned about who sees me. Stat Counter has turned me into an attention whore.

Maybe if I start being funnier...

*Come to think of it, this post seems a little needy, too.

5 comments:

Erica said...

I also am completely obsessed with Stat Counter, thanks to Waiter Rant (which is how I found your site, through the comments). We may be related, Mr. Kalbsfleisch - was your mother a Gambolputty??

Yoda said...

OH. MY. GOD. Another Monty Python fan.

No, we are not related to the Gambolputty de von Ausfern-Schplenden-Schlitter-Crasscrenbon-Fried-Digger-Dingle-Dangle-Dongle-Dungle-Burstein-von-Knacker-Thrasher-Apple-Banger-Horowitz-Ticolensic-Grander-Knotty-Spelltinkle-Grandlich-Grumblemeyer-Spelterwasser-Kurstlich-Himbleeisen-Bahnwagen-Gutenabend-Bitte-Ein-Nürnburger-Bratwustle-Gerspurten-Mitz-Weimache-Luber-Hundsfut-Gumberaber-Shönedanker-Kalbsfleisch-Mittler-Aucher von Hautkopfts of Ulm.

~Kurt

Erica said...

Man, if you have typed that all out without assistance from "All the Words" ... you win!

Anyway, I've enjoyed your blog so far - good luck with your daughter this summer. I have a 7 year-old, and I'm finding it harder to be pereceived as cool, though I am indoctrinating him in All Things Python. That way he can be cooler than me and impress the chicks.
(Good luck, right?)

Yours, etc.
Erica (Mrs.)

Yoda said...

I've always meant to memorize that, but I admit, I did cut-and-paste.

The one really essential MP bit he needs to know is "The Spanish Inquisition"

Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

~Kurt

Anonymous said...

Hi Kurt,

You don't know me...just another Imaginary Internet Person. I'm not sure how I stumbled across your blog but I've just spent the last hour,give or take, reading it. I love it. You're warm, amusing, intelligent, slightly cynical and I GET you. Maybe it's you who gets me. I dunno. In either case, I'm not a weirdo, not a stalker, not a psycho. In fact I've never responded to a blog before. I just wanted you to know I enjoy yours.