Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Are People Just Getting Dumber, Or Is It Me?

So last night, I'm watching "Rags To Riches" which is a silly show, but I was bored and didn't feel much like going to bed yet. (Ever notice how people make lame excuses about the TV shows they watch? Me, neither.)

I was watching a bit on Naomi Watts and Nicole Kidman. Seems the two have been friends since they were teenagers, and when Tom Cruise moved out, Naomi moved in with her best friend Nicole. (Having been through a divorce, I know how painful it is...and I didn't have the celebrity part to deal with. I think it's pretty cool to have a friend who can move in and be there for you while you rebuild your life.) But, I digress. (Me? No!)

So, here's the part that makes me ask the question about people getting dumber: It's "Rags To Riches" remember, so salaries come into it somewhere. They mentioned that Naomi's paycheck for the upcoming "King Kong" remake was 5 million dollars. Not bad. Then, the announcer goes on to compare that with Nicole's fee for doing "Bewitched".

..."nearly TWICE AS MUCH," he says...while the graphic on the screen says...

wait for it...

"$17.5 Million"

It's not that one writer slipped up, it's that at least one writer, one announcer, any number of production assistants, the sound booth techs, the producers, and the director ALL MISSED IT.

I don't think it's me.

No comments: