Thursday, May 26, 2005

Ooops, I'm Not The Chief Anymore

I gotta be more careful. Really. I could get me fired.

So here's the deal...I woke up this morning, back still spasming, unable to stand without pain. Once I get moving around a little, I'm fine...but did I mention that I'm still in pain?

So, I've got work to do today, and unfortunately, the other guy in the office who could cover for me is on travel. I call the office to walk someone else through it and he tells me that there's a problem. None of our networked machines are able to talk to each other, and it has something to do with the BORG...I mean...NMCI. This is a big problem, and as one of the system engineers, I am sure I will be needed to troubleshoot.

I drag myself into the shower, throw on some decent clothes, head for the office. I am in pain, and I'm pissed. This should not have happened without some warning. Especially since the command was not supposed to be connected to NMCI...a transition that big would not occur suddenly and with no warning, right?

So, when I get into the lab, there are IT contractors busily troubleshooting, and I (attitude in full force) ask when we can expect to be reconnected. They don't know. What happened? NMCI cut us off because our IP addresses were not in their contract. Why didn't anyone tell us we were switching to NMCI? We didn't switch to NMCI. What? So what you're telling me is that an entity we're not beholden to can cut off our communications because we're not paying them, preventing the entire command from doing its job? The IT guy glares at me and says, "Do you want to think that through?" He knows exactly what I'm driving at.

If the IP addresses had actually been cut off, the problem would have been solved yesterday with a single phone call.

Since the problem still exists, the explanation must be missing some key details.

In other words, someone is lying.

A couple years ago, I could (and would) have read the riot act in its entirety to the IT perfeshunnals, and I started to...then realized that no, I am not the chief any more. I can't put The Fear Of God into an incompetent tech for screwing so many people over. I am a lowly contractor, a scum-sucking bottom-dweller who feeds off the Navy's discarded green stuff. (Then again, so is he.)

What tool is in my toolbox for dealing with these situations, you ask?

I went to my boss and told him that he might have to field a complaint about my conduct. He smiled and said, "Don't worry. That's what I do. Why are you still here? Your back is still bothering you, so go home. Let the military handle it."

So home I am. And I am desperately, passionately loyal to my boss. He's a rare guy.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

I completely understand where you're coming from. I loved it when I worked for the military. If someone got out of line you just put a boot in their ass and it was fixed. In Corporate America you have to walk on eggshells or you get sued. I much prefer the military way!