Friday, May 06, 2005

Things Have Changed Since I Was In High School

They're into treating kids more like adults now.

No, not really. They just don't make them follow the rules.

For example, look at the way many of the girls dress for school. There is a dress code at my daughter's school that says that bare midriffs are not allowed. I'd like to state for the record that I am not a prude, and considering that the girls of my generation were allowed to wear halter tops to school (something I was not opposed to then, nor am I now), I figure that high school girls showing a little unblemished skin is just part of the milieu. But, a rule is a rule (and we have enough rules about who gets to make the rules that by the time something actually gets to be a rule, it deserves to be respected; there are very few arbitrary rules these days) and that's that. So girls, put some clothes on, please. Before you leave home, preferably.

(And lest anyone think I am picking on the girls: guys, your belt goes above your ass. I do not want to see your boxers, thank you, so please hike up them drawers.)

Anyhow, one of the things that used to be a rule but which is apparently no longer a rule is the one about eating in class. This rule came about because portable foods generally come in a wrapper or in a form that makes noise, and that can be distracting to people who are trying to think. Now that I think about it, when I was in school, thinking was a necessary component of learning, but I digress. (Me? No!)

I haven't looked it up yet, but I would be surprised to find that "no eating in class" is not a rule. And if it is a rule, it makes sense that this rule, too, is not being enforced, because God knows, we don't want to damage our children's fragile little psyches by denying them anything their chubby little hearts desire. Besides, we need to teach them to be good consumers, so that they, like me, can skip their 25th Reunion because they're 150 pounds heavier at 43 than they were at 18. (If you graduated high school before 1995, you should be able to do the math, there.)

Side note: I'm not completely fucked up if I can serve as a bad example.

What prompted this little rant?

My daughter came home from school yesterday pissed off about a number of things, but annoyed in particular with one of classmates for noisily eating Chex Mix during their teacher's lecture. Even if it isn't against the rules, it's rude, she reasoned.

When I got home today, sitting on my computer desk was a ziploc baggie filled with Chex Mix, a gift from my daughter. Written on the baggie was this note: "Try eating these loudly while being questioned by employees." She must really be pissed off. She knows me well enough to know that I already got the point.

For a while, I considered asking for a parent/teacher conference, and bringing the bag of Chex Mix with me, note and all.

Then I realized: it wouldn't do any good. The rules only apply to those who choose to follow them now. That's what they're teaching these days.

Yep. Things have definitely changed since I was in high school.

No comments: