Thursday, May 05, 2005

Can I Have That Time Back Please?

So I have this big project I'm working on, have been working on for some weeks now, and as I've mentioned before, little progress gets made for all the interruptions.

This week, the interruptions are mostly about how much time I spend doing my job. I work hard and I don't mind saying so, especially when the organization I work for is doing the asking. I'm fully aware that much of what I do is as mysterious to them as a Coke bottle to a Kalahari bushman.

No, I do not mind providing them this information. Once. Through my boss. Who tracks that stuff. And writes two reports a month. That contain the information I'm being interrupted and asked for this week.

And okay, I don't mind spending an hour or so providing this information again, because basically, I like my job and I would like to keep it for a while longer, thank you.

But I do mind being asked for the same thing three times, in three different ways, by three different sets of people. And I especially don't like being asked, "So, if all of the contractors suddenly went away and we had to do your job with military people, how many hours would it take to do each task?"

Is it really paranoid to be concerned about this question? I mean, really?

So this week, I (and the other contractor in my office) have spent a collective 10 hours submitting this information in no less than three different formats, all of which give me the feeling that the originators are hiding something.

Here's an example:

Briefly describe each task you perform. List major tasks first, then any periodic tasks.

How many personnel are required to perform each task?

State the number of occurrences (per period).

Define the period: daily/weekly/monthly/quarterly/yearly

State the average time to perform each task.

Define the units of measure for the average time to perform each task.

So, is the average time to perform a task measured per person or collectively? ("Just fill in the spread sheet. We'll figure it out.")

And why do we need a separate column in the spreadsheet that defines the units of measure? Is someone going to answer in microfortnights?

Apparently, no one else is bothered by this. I must not have gotten the memo.

No comments: